Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Yoga Pants and Leggings

I haven't written in a while, I've had a rough pregnancy and most of my life has been devoted to taking care of Lydia, my husband and the big thing, our move closer to my parents! I've had this on my mind for a while, and it is in light of all the negative feedback toward yoga pants and leggings.

You can read articles all day long on how someone felt the day they wore yoga pants, how yoga pants cause lustful desires and on and on I can go.

First I will say this, yes we are responsible as Christians in what we wear, but the thing too is the other person has a responsibility not to look. There I said it. We all have a responsibility not to lust but are yoga pants encouraging lust? Let's look closer at this....

1. Yoga pants are sinful, same with leggings.
If we are going to make a blanket statement about certain kinds of clothes what about skinny legs jeans? Are they sinful too? What about jeans that aren't straight cut? Where do we draw the line?

2. Your encouraging and inviting men to lust after you.
I wear what I call the non skin tight variety-ie.-one size up from my normal size for comfort reasons I hate things being too tight. I wear them with t-shirts, tunics, running to the store, going out with the husband and everywhere else. I don't see men lusting after me any more than if I was wearing my jeans and t-shirts.

3. Men can't control how they feel, they're visual creatures.
Duh. I've been married 5 years, I know that, not to get personal but I know how and what turns my husband on-and that is something that is kept at home. Men do get turned on and that is why my clothes are modest, maybe not conservative but modest. I don't encourage men to lust after me by wearing low cut t-shirts that show everything, short shorts where half my butt is hanging out, spaghetti strap tanks without a shrug. Men are going to look, it is our job to make sure that we aren't doing anything to encourage it. As I told someone, with the way I look, men would get turned on by a paper sack-I can dress in a normal manner and still get stared at. Am I encouraging it by dressing modestly? I think not.

4. The Bible shows we should be wearing _____ (add item of clothing)
Most of the people that use this believe in the old fashioned view of neck high shirts, long skirts, making sure everything is covered-no skin is showing except for arms and possibly ankles. Men will look anyway! If you are that concerned on how you are dressing you have a crazy view that I cannot see myself following. It isn't Biblical to tell someone you must dress a certain way. Yes there are standards that we must follow and as times change so does dress. As long as it is modest, and it's overly tight, revealing, or short we can wear it safely as Christians.

With these 4 points, I hope to show that as Christian we can wear yoga pants and leggings without causing someone to lust after us. It takes time to mature and I know some of you may not agree but as for me it is a personal opinion a Romans 14 issue, and I will continue to wear my yoga pants/yoga capris.

I'm also 30 weeks pregnant and they are so incredibly comfortable when nothing else is fitting too!

No comments:

Post a Comment